For most people, their home is the most important and biggest investment there are every likely to make. This is why most of us want to ensure we keep our homes looking great and make improvements that are both practical and can enhance the value of our investment. There are various home improvements that you can consider if you want to maximize your home value.
The right improvements can make a big difference to both the value and the salability of your home. You will often recoup some or even all of your investment in these improvements in terms of equity. In addition, until you decide you want to sell your property you will be able to enjoy the benefits of the improvements you have made.
Key improvements that can increase value
One thing you need to remember is that not all home improvements will increase the value of your property. Some improvements may make the property look nicer and could even make it more salable, but they will have no effect on the value. However, there are other improvements that can make a big difference to your property value, so these are the ones that you should focus on.
Some of the improvements that can help to increase the value of your property include:
- Adding central heating: Central heating is something that most people want these days, so if you don’t already have it, consider getting it installed. This will enable you to enjoy warmth and comfort, will help to add value to your home, and will make your property more attractive to potential buyers if you decide to sell. It can also help prevent problems such as damp in your home.
- Double glazed windows: If you have double glazing installed at your home, you can enjoy more warmth and protection. You will also be able to save on your energy bills and do your bit for the environment. Double glazing is another simple method that can add value to your home, and can benefit you hugely in the meantime. In addition, they will help to protect you from noise pollution if you live in a built-up area.
- Loft or basement conversion: Many of us end up using our basements and lofts for nothing more than junk. However, with a conversion you can transform these spaces into valuable additional rooms that could be used as a bedroom, study, games room, or for a variety of other purposes. This can add a significant amount to your property value and will also give you more space for as long as you live in the property.
- Extension: Another consideration if you want to increase the size of your property is an extension. Of course, you will need to ensure that you get any necessary planning permits to have the work carried out. However, once it is done you can enjoy a lot more space in your property as well as boosting the value of your home.
- Pave over your front lawn: If you have a back garden and a front lawn, it is worth considering paving over the front to turn it into an extra large driveway. This can help to boost the value of your property, and it will also make it more salable because potential buyers with cars often want a dedicated parking area rather than having to part on the road.
- Make improvement to the kitchen and bathroom: Two of the key rooms that can add value to your home through improvement are the kitchen and the bathroom. These are both rooms that potential buyers will focus on. You can consider getting new units fitted in the kitchen, replacing worktops, and improving lighting. You can also look at a new bathroom suite, updated fixtures, perhaps even a new shower.
These are all improvements that can help to boost the value of your home and make it more appealing to potential buyers. While improvements such as refreshing the décor can help to make your home look and feel nicer, this type of thing does not add value to the home although it can improve the prospect of a quick sale.
Make sure you get the work done professionally
One thing you need to bear in mind is that a botched DIY job will do nothing for the value of your home. In fact, it could actually reduce the value of your property and reduce the chances of being able to sell it.
With this in mind, you need to make sure that any major work is carried out by a reputable professional. This means that the work will be carried out to high standards, so it will benefit your property and its value.
Make sure you do your research to find a professional with a proven track record and good reviews from other customers for peace of mind. Also, make sure you don’t just pick someone based on price alone, as you could end up with someone unskilled who does a substandard job. This could not only be damaging to your property value but could also be dangerous.
With the right improvements carried out by a reputable professional, you can boost the value of your home considerably. Of course, house prices do fluctuate but you will find that you can recoup much of the cost and in some cases more than the cost of your improvements. Also, if you are planning to sell your home you need to remember that the right improvement can improve the chances of a quick sale. This means that your property will not be left festering on the market, which can have a negative financial impact on you.
Another thing to bear in mind is that you will want to know just how much your property value has gone up by. Therefore, make sure you get a valuation on your property before you have the work carried out and then another one once the work is completed.